Energy supply volatility and high energy prices are universal concerns for consumers in the global market. In general, countries and businesses that rely heavily on oil are more affected by price shocks and rising costs resulting from the various factors influencing global oil supply, such as political unrest and environmental accidents.
Airports are large energy consumers and, therefore, increasing energy costs, coupled with emerging plans to address growing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and climate change, are now recognized as financial and business risks for airport operators. A systematic and strategic approach to energy and GHG emissions planning can provide immediate benefits through the identification of opportunities to reduce energy consumption, helping to mitigate the overall risk of high energy costs. Our clients are increasingly seeking to reduce energy costs and improve energy security by minimizing consumption across airport facilities and pursuing opportunities to generate renewable energy. Developing a comprehensive energy strategy requires identifying and prioritizing projects that should be accelerated based on their financial, energy, and GHG emissions reduction benefits.
LeighFisher has developed a long-term strategic approach that can yield effective cost savings and GHG emissions reductions through:
- Developing a baseline energy consumption and GHG emissions inventory and forecasts
- Assessing potential regulatory effects on airport utility budgets and aviation activity forecasts
- Evaluating life-cycle benefits and costs of energy reduction and clean energy projects
- Developing a decision-making framework to prioritize funding and implementation of projects for achieving GHG emissions targets and operational savings
- Providing third-party advice on guaranteed energy performance savings contracts
- Implementing programs to reduce the cost of energy procurement by increasing airport management’s purchasing power
For examples of related energy strategy services provided by LeighFisher, please click on the Services tab above. For a list of our recent client experience, please click on the Projects tab above.
- Carbon reduction planning
- Energy master planning
- Renewable energy feasibility assessment
- Energy service contract analysis
Lehigh Valley International Airport -Green Vehicles and Equipment Grants -Lehigh-Northampton Airport Authority
Albuquerque International Sunport -Sustainability Management System and Pathway to LEED-EB Certification -City of Albuquerque
Albuquerque International Sunport -Ground Support Equipment Funding -City of Albuquerque
George Bush Intercontinental, William P. Hobby, and Ellington Airports -Emissions Inventories and Strategic Planning -Houston Airport System
Philadelphia International Airport -Ground Support Equipment Economic Analysis -City of Philadelphia
Edmonton and Calgary International Airports -Alternative Fuel Strategic Plans for the Edmonton and Calgary International Airports -Encana Natural Gas, Inc.
-Canadian Aviation and Greenhouse Gases -Air Transport Association of Canada