UK Rail Franchise, Bid Support
LeighFisher supports Government and Private Operators in the rail franchising process. Since 1998, we have been involved in UK passenger rail franchising – providing a comprehensive set of services in the specification, preparation, and evaluation of competitive franchise competitions and single-tender negotiations tailored to meet the individual requirements of the client and the tender process.
Our UK franchise projects include West Coast Mainline, South Central, East Coast Mainline, Great Western, Greater Anglia, Integrated Kent Franchise, Great Northern, Cross Country, TransPennine, West Anglia, Chiltern Railways, Essex Thameside, East Midland, Thameslink, West Midlands, ScotRail, Northern, and South Western.
For operators bidding for franchises, our team of industry experts supports clients through all phases of the process from pre-competition planning to beyond tender award by providing:
- Bid strategy and management support, which often begins before the formal launch of a franchise competition
- Business planning and market analysis to facilitate understanding of the franchise specification
- Train service and operational resource planning, together with performance and crowd modelling to understand the impacts of service patterns on a franchise
- Rail demand and revenue forecasting using proprietary industry models and customised forecast models to either develop a revenue line for a bid or review it against a comparative forecast case
- Cost modelling based on a thorough understanding of franchise costs
- Financial modelling of the franchise Income Statement
- Franchise bid plan drafting and review
For government clients, we use rail demand and revenue forecasting to prepare comparator models (costs and revenue forecasts), and help to analyse and evaluate franchise bids, in financial and technical deliverability terms. We also use rail financial and economic business case development to assess financial and economic business cases and value for money assessments for proposed franchise extensions or modifications, such as the procurement and specification of new rolling stock.
- We have one of the most experienced franchise bid teams in the UK, with involvement in a significant number of individual competitions
- We offer a range of bid support services from bid strategy and business case development, to operations planning and resource management
- We have successfully provided resources from individuals through to entire turnkey bid teams to meet client requirements
LeighFisher and Jacobs.
Together, as one Jacobs.
Our global network of expertise is yours. We’re challenging what’s accepted and raising the bar in everything we do.